Teesside

Sunrise Sunset
°C
Today
14/04/2021
°C
Tonight
14/04/2021
°C
Tomorrow
15/04/2021
°C
Saturday
16/04/2021
°C
Sunday
17/04/2021
°C
Monday
18/04/2021
°C

FIGHT THE FLOOD: Major milestone reached in Teesside flood scheme

Video from Environment Agency 

Major milestone achieved in multi-million pound Teesside flood scheme.

A major step in a £4.8million Teesside flood scheme has been taken as a new debris screen is lifted into place. Construction started on the joint Environment Agency and Middlesbrough Council scheme at Marton West Beck last year. It will reduce the risk of flooding from the beck, sea and surface water to nearly 500 homes in central Middlesbrough.

During flooding the new scheme will hold flood water back in Marton West Beck and Albert Park, slowing the flow and reducing the impact downstream. The extended debris screen in the park will collect debris and rubbish that can cause flooding and plays a key role in reducing flood risk.

As well as the new screen, which extends the already existing screen on the beck, the scheme includes new stone-clad flood walls, a new drainage system, the instalment of protective fencing, and several flood storage bunds.

Leila Huntington, the Environment Agency’s Flood Manager in the North East, said: “This project protects nearly 500 homes and businesses in the centre of Middlesbrough and will provide an economic boost for the town, as well as bringing benefits for wildlife in the wider area. Schemes such as this are essential as we see climate change bringing with it more extreme weather conditions and an increased flood risk.”

The scheme is just one of many across the North East that better protect properties and businesses as part of a £132million six year investment programme to create or improve flood and coastal defences in the region. A further £5.2billion government investment package has been secured to deliver 2,000 schemes across the country, better protecting 336,000 properties between 2021 and 2027. Councillor Dennis McCabe, Middlesbrough Council’s Executive Member for Environment and Commercial Services, added: “The recent extreme weather has been a timely reminder of the devastation that flooding can bring to whole communities. It’s more important than ever that we ensure that those areas at the greatest risk have the best possible protection.

“I’m delighted that Middlesbrough Council has been able to work in partnership with the Environment Agency to deliver this important scheme which will offer a great degree of reassurance to a large number of homes.”

The contractor working on the project is BMMJV, a joint venture between BAM Nuttall and Mott MacDonald.

Katie Fraser, Project Manager for BMMJV, said: ‘Work on Marton West Beck Flood Alleviation Scheme started at the height of lockdown and the team had to adapt rapidly to the COVID-19 situation. As well as implementing safe practices on site we have been able to ensure the project continued as planned by working collaboratively with the Environment Agency by holding online meetings and virtual site tours and utilising technology to drive smart solutions and minimise risks on site.

“We are delighted to see the scheme moving towards completion knowing we have contributed to the protection of homes in Middlesbrough.”


Watch Live


Watch the channel on TV

7

Freeview

117

Sky

159

Virgin Media