Teesside TV

Sunrise Sunset
°C
Today
06/05/2021
°C
Tonight
06/05/2021
°C
Tomorrow
07/05/2021
°C
Saturday
08/05/2021
°C
Sunday
09/05/2021
°C
Monday
10/05/2021
°C

HARTLEPOOL HOMES: Plans for 50 homes approved

HARTLEPOOL HOMES: Plans for 50 homes approved

Image: LDRS

Plans have been approved for 50 new homes to be built in Hartlepool, despite concerns being raised by residents over the development.

Hartlepool Borough Council planning committee has approved outline proposals for the two storey properties on land at Nelson Farm, in Nelson Lane.

The proposals, from Colin Ford, were previously approved by councillors in 2016, subject to a section 106 legal agreement securing planning contributions, which the applicant had agreed to pay at the time.

However since then the agreement had not progressed, meaning the proposals had to come back before councillors on the planning committee, and were recommended for approval by council officers.

Stephen Litherland, from Hedley Planning Services, speaking on behalf of the applicant, told councillors progress had been delayed due to drainage issues, but they were now ready to progress with the plans.

He said: “This application has been delayed due to a third party drainage issue associated with the surface water run off.

“I can confirm that this matter has now been resolved and that the applicant is ready to sign the section 106 agreement.

“This scheme being located within the settlement limits of Hartlepool and being included in the council housing delivery programme, in our opinion is acceptable in planning terms.”

As part of the plans the applicant will have to provide more than £300,000 in planning contributions, including costs towards education, sport and play facilities in the area.

Access to the homes will be from the existing turning head of Applewood Close, which is a cul-de-sac with access taken from Jaywood Close.

Cllr Marjorie James raised concerns there was only one access route into the proposed development, which could therefore potentially lead to issues if it becomes blocked and emergency services need immediate access.

Mr Litherland noted an access road for emergency vehicles only could be created to the north of the site, which councillors moved to adopt as a condition as part of the plans.

The access could also be used during development for construction vehicles, but it will be closed off for all apart from the emergency services when needed once the development is complete.

Objector Derek Redwood, of Applewood Close, spoke at the meeting raising further concerns over the plans, such as their impact on wildlife, flooding and the overdevelopment of the area.

He said: “The planning authority has permitted the development of Applewood, Jaywood and Ravenwood Closes without adequate provision for play, recreational areas, for parking, or open space.

“With another 50 houses in a high density development, this will make the situation much worse.

“There is no infrastructure in this area to support further development, no shops, community centres, bus routes near the area, churches etc.

“Due to the extensive proposed development in the immediate area, we feel that there is no requirement for further development in the area.”

Previously the proposals attracted 28 letters of objection, and one letter of support, and following a re-consultation over the proposals, nine objectors re-submitted their concerns.

However councillors agreed with the recommendations of officers and approved proposals, with eight councillors voting in favour of the development, and one abstaining.

Words: Nic Marko, Local Democracy Reporter


Watch Live


Watch the channel on TV

7

Freeview

117

Sky

159

Virgin Media