Teesside TV

Sunrise Sunset
°C
Today
28/11/2021
°C
Tonight
28/11/2021
°C
Tomorrow
29/11/2021
°C
Saturday
30/11/2021
°C
Sunday
01/12/2021
°C
Monday
02/12/2021
°C

APPROVED PLANS: Bungalows plan on ‘unsightly’ vacant site

APPROVED PLANS: Bungalows plan on ‘unsightly’ vacant site

The vacant land on which the new bungalows are to be built, Image: Redcar and Cleveland Council

Councillors have approved plans to build 11 new bungalows in the centre of Eston.

The plans for a plot of vacant land between the High Street and Station Road will see 10 semi-detached bungalows being built and one detached bungalow, along with provision for parking.

Access to the development will be from Station Road, via Wentworth Court, with the use of a new single spine road.

Redcar and Cleveland Council planning officers had recommended the plans be approved, although there were objections from some residents with the site bounded all on side by existing properties.

Some complained there was not enough parking for existing residents and there had been a lack of consultation.

There were also concerns raised about privacy and the entrance to the development.

An archaeological assessment provided for councillors referenced a former railway station at Eston, off Jubilee Road, and said that, although it had been built over, archaeological remnants, including early 20th century railway sidings may survive in the area.

It said: “Such sidings would not merit preservation in situ or extensive excavation to understand their function.

“However, the form of such sidings and tracks would be of archaeological interest and if encountered should be recorded before destruction.”

The planning officer’s report said the redevelopment of the site for small bungalows supported council policies and said it may be appropriate given the “rapid growth trajectory of retirement-age households”.

It said it was a sustainable location close to amenities and public transport routes.

The development would also be largely screened from views on all sides.

The report described the vacant site as “unsightly, contributing nothing to the appearance and character of the area”.

It said: “The development will undoubtedly improve the appearance of the area which is presently somewhat blighted by the appearance of the existing site.

“Although simple in design, it is considered to be an appropriate form of development which responds to the constraints of the site.

“[In conclusion] the development is acceptable, there are some final detailed matters to be resolved, but officers are satisfied these can be dealt with by planning conditions.”

Members of the council’s regulatory committee said they wanted some additional tree planting to take place, in approving the plans.

 

Words: Stuart Arnold, Local Democracy Reporter


Watch Live


Watch the channel on TV

7

Freeview

195

Sky

159

Virgin Media